A Promise in Soho: From a Tutorial Slide to the Street Where Epidemiology Was Born

The First Tutorial

It was August 2021. Less than a year had passed since I had walked out of the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Khartoum for the last time as a student, degree in hand, in September 2020. That transition, from student to doctor, from learner to teacher, had been swift and, in many ways, quietly disorienting. The corridors look different when you are no longer the one being examined; the weight of the room shifts when the questions are directed toward you rather than away from you. There is an impostor's hesitation in the first days of teaching, a persistent inner whisper asking whether you have, in fact, earned the right to stand at the front.

When I joined the Department of Community Medicine in 2021, I was assigned to deliver epidemiology tutorials, beginning with Batch 96. I was, in the truest sense, standing on the other side of the room for the first time. And I understood, with the clarity that only the other side of the room can offer, that the greatest responsibility of a teacher is not to transfer information, but to ignite a relationship between a student and a subject that will outlast the tutorial itself.

The subject demands a beginning. And there is only one honest beginning to any introductory lecture in epidemiology: Dr John Snow and the pump on Broad Street.


Image: The End of One Chapter

The final day as a medical student at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Khartoum, a threshold moment between learning and teaching, between one identity and the next.


The Man Who Removed the Handle

To understand why Snow matters, one must first understand the world he inhabited. In the 19th century, London was a city of extraordinary density and extraordinary squalor. Cholera had swept through it in devastating waves, in 1831, in 1848,  each time claiming thousands of lives with a brutality that medicine could neither explain nor prevent. The dominant theory of the era was miasma: the belief that disease arose from foul air, from the invisible emanations of rot and filth that rose from open sewers and decomposing matter. It was a theory that felt intuitive, that matched the sensory reality of Victorian slums, and that was, in every meaningful scientific sense, profoundly wrong.

On the 31st of August, 1854, cholera struck the Soho district of London with devastating speed. In just ten days, over five hundred people died in the immediate vicinity of Broad Street, entire families, entire households, erased from the city with a swiftness that left neighbours paralysed by grief and terror. The stench of the neighbourhood, its crowded courts and shared privies, seemed to confirm the miasma theorists at every turn.

John Snow, a physician who had spent years quietly and methodically questioning the miasma theory, moved immediately. He did not convene a committee. He did not issue a proclamation. He went door-to-door, compiling the addresses of the dead and began to map them. What emerged from that painstaking, unglamorous work was not a pattern of bad air but a pattern of proximity, a tight, undeniable cluster of deaths radiating outward from a single water pump on Broad Street. He interviewed survivors. He noted the anomalies: the workers at a nearby brewery who drank beer rather than pumped water and remained largely unaffected; the widow in Hampstead, miles away, who had her water delivered from Broad Street and died regardless.

Snow presented his findings to the local parish authorities. They were unconvinced; the evidence challenged a century of received wisdom, but, under his quiet and relentless persistence, they agreed to one intervention: they removed the handle from the pump. The deaths declined. The outbreak, already waning as residents had fled the neighbourhood, was severed from its remaining source. And in that single act, the removal of a pump handle in a nondescript London street, the foundations of modern epidemiology were quietly, irreversibly laid.

Snow had demonstrated for the first time that disease could be understood not through theory or intuition alone, but through the disciplined, systematic observation of populations, places, and patterns, that the answers are hidden in the data, if only someone is willing to go and collect it with enough honesty and rigour. He gave the discipline its first proof of concept, and in doing so, gave it its soul. The formal definition that would follow generations later, "the study of the distribution and determinants of health-related states or events in specified populations, and the application of this study to the control of health problems", was, in essence, the codification of what Snow had already done on the streets of Soho in the autumn of 1854.

John Snow died in 1858, at the age of 45, before the scientific establishment had fully absorbed or accepted his findings. History, as it so often does with the most consequential minds, arrived late.


A Slide, a Photograph, and a Promise

In that first tutorial I delivered, I opened with a photograph. It was an image I had selected with deliberate intention: the John Snow lounge in Soho, London, a building that today bears the physician's name, located yards from where the original pump once stood, its Victorian wooden facade unchanged by the centuries surrounding it. Beside it on my slide, I placed the commemorative plaque, "Founding Father of Epidemiology. In 1854, his research linked deaths to the water pump near this site and thus determined that cholera is a water-borne disease", and the formal definition of the discipline.


Image: The Slide That Held a Promise

A tutorial slide presented to Batch 96 students at the University of Khartoum's Department of Community Medicine, featuring the John Snow lounge in Soho, the commemorative plaque, and the founding definition of epidemiology. The photograph on this slide became the subject of an offhand joke that would, unexpectedly, become a commitment.


I wanted the students to feel the story before they learned the science. I wanted them to understand, before a single equation or case definition had been introduced, that epidemiology is not an abstraction; it is a practice rooted in the willingness to go out, to look, to ask uncomfortable questions, and to follow the evidence wherever it leads, even when the evidence contradicts everything the establishment believes.

Then, with the particular ease of a teacher still finding his footing, I made an offhand remark that drew laughter from the room. I told the students: "Next year, God willing, I will replace this photograph with one of me sitting right there." The room laughed. I laughed. The moment passed and we moved on.

What I did not tell them, because I had not yet fully admitted it to myself, was that I had already quietly begun the long, uncertain process of applying for a master's degree in the United Kingdom.


The Scholarship and the Departure

The Chevening Scholarship is the United Kingdom government's flagship international award, a fully funded programme designed to identify and invest in outstanding future leaders, thinkers, and changemakers from around the world. It is, by any standard, a deeply competitive undertaking. The application process asks not just about academic achievement but about vision: who you intend to become, and what you intend to build with what you are given.

I had applied to the Master of Public Health programme at Imperial College London, one of the world's foremost institutions in public health research, where the tradition of rigorous, evidence-based thinking stretches back across generations. When the acceptance arrived, the weight of it was not immediately celebratory. It was something more complex, a mixture of gratitude so deep it was nearly disorienting, mingled with the quiet, vertiginous awareness that the coordinates of one's life are about to shift entirely. There is a particular kind of solitude in standing at that threshold, knowing that the path forward is extraordinary, but that the path behind, the colleagues, the students, the classroom, will not simply wait.


Image: The Beginning of Another

The first week at Imperial College London was the start of a new chapter, carrying the habits of thought, the questions, and the half-forgotten promise made in a classroom in Khartoum.


I left Sudan carrying many things: the knowledge accumulated across years of medical education, the friendships forged in wards and lecture halls, the quiet concern for a nation beginning to fracture at its edges. And among all of it, without having consciously packed it, was that small, laughed-off promise to a group of students in Khartoum.


The Street in Soho

In my first week in London, before the formal lectures had begun, before the city had fully revealed its rhythms and its demands, I made my way to Soho. I felt, without quite being able to rationalise it, that I owed the discipline of that pilgrimage before anything else. That I needed to begin my study of public health not in a lecture hall but on the precise ground where public health had first proved what it could do.

The street is unassuming. Broadwick Street carries the ordinary traffic of a central London thoroughfare, pedestrians in a hurry, the persistent noise of the city, and the indifferent geometry of brick facades. The pump, a replica, standing on a granite plinth inscribed with the story of the 1854 cholera outbreak, occupies a modest corner, without grandeur or ceremony. There is no dramatic architectural commemoration, no museum-scale installation. It stands quietly, as though aware that its significance requires no performance.


Image: Standing Where It Began

Beside the replica of the Broad Street pump in Soho, London, the site where John Snow traced the 1854 cholera outbreak and laid the foundations of modern epidemiology. A moment of professional and personal pilgrimage, years in the making.


I stood beside it for longer than was strictly necessary. There is something profoundly affecting about occupying the precise geography of a moment that irrevocably changed an entire discipline, the discipline you had chosen, the discipline you had spent a year teaching to students who were just beginning to understand why it matters. The stones beneath your feet are ordinary. The weight they carry is not. I found myself thinking of Snow himself,  a man who died unrecognised, who spent his final years fighting for an idea the world was not yet ready to accept and feeling, with a force I had not anticipated, the particular poignancy of posthumous vindication.

Then I walked into the John Snow lounge, its Victorian wooden doors and trailing hanging flowers unchanged from the photograph I had shown my students months earlier, and I ordered an orange juice. I sat with it in my hands, in the amber warmth of that Victorian interior, and I allowed myself a moment of quiet, private acknowledgement.


Image: The Promise Kept

Outside the John Snow lounge in Soho, London, the exact location featured in the tutorial slide shown to students in Khartoum. What began as an offhand joke became, through the sequence of choices that followed, an accomplished fact.


God had honoured the intention behind that careless, laughing promise. And in doing so, He had reminded me, with characteristic gentleness and precision, that words spoken in jest are not exempt from the weight of meaning.


Image: Two Garments, One Identity

graduation ceremony from the Master of Public Health programme at Imperial College London, wearing the academic gown over the white jalabiya and imma (Sudanese attire) of Sudan. A quiet but deliberate statement that the pursuit of knowledge need not come at the cost of who you are, and that excellence and identity are not in competition, but in conversation.


The Chain That Continues

I often think of those students in Batch 96. I wonder whether any of them remembers the joke. I wonder whether they followed the thread of it over the subsequent months and years, or whether it dissolved into the general noise of a busy academic year. I hope that somewhere, in some quiet corner of the memory of at least one of them, the image of that lounge and the story of that pump left a mark, not just as a clinical fact to be recalled in an examination, but as a living proof that the field they were entering had been born in an act of stubbornness, curiosity, and the refusal to accept inherited wisdom without evidence.

Because that is the deepest lesson epidemiology has to teach: not a method, not a formula, but a disposition, the willingness to go out, to look honestly at what the data reveals, and to act on it even when the room is unconvinced.

And perhaps, in a small way, that is what the photograph on the slide was always trying to say: that the distance between where you are and where history was made is shorter than it appears. That the pump is real. The street is real. And if you follow the evidence far enough, with enough patience and enough honesty, you will one day find yourself standing in it.

Comments